How to Survive a Long-Haul Flight!
Firstly, let us get this out of the way: a short –haul flight is under 3 hours long; a medium-haul flight is between 3 to 6 hours long; a long-haul flight is between 6 to 12 hours long; and lastly, an ultra-long flight is over 12 hours long!
Now then, whether you are travelling for business, visiting family on the other side of the world, or going on holiday; unless you are flying in First Class, being trapped inside an aircraft for longer than 6 hours can take its toll on even the most frequent traveler! But worry not, we have compiled an essential list of items that will ensure you have a pleasant and enjoyable long-haul experience.
1) Book Early and Reserve a Good Seat: This is a no-brainer! Call your travel agent and ask them to reserve seats based on your requirements. For instance, if you are travelling with your partner and an infant, ask your travel agent to inform the airline in advance and have them reserve a bassinet. If you have mobility issues and need more leg room, ask them to reserve a seat by the exit rows.
2) Pack essentials in your hand-carry on: You won’t have access to your main luggage depending on where you are travelling from and to, for at least half a day! Therefore, ensure that you have packed your essential and survival tools in your hand-carry. For example: medicines, an extra t-shirt or sweatshirt, phone / tablet charger, and toiletries.
3) Wear comfortable clothes: You’re going to be stuck inside an airplane for over 6 hours with very little room to move around. So, make sure you are dressed for the occasion! Wearing a suit with leather shoes may be appropriate for that meeting you are flying in for, but certainly not the right attire to be wearing on a long-haul flight. Try something that is looser, and cozy instead.
4) Arrive early: You certainly wouldn’t want to arrive at the airport late or to miss your flight. By checking in early, you can relax at an airport lounge (depending on your loyalty or mileage status), purchase any last-minute gift item for your relative or friend at the duty-free store, or even given the ample time you have, try convincing the staff at the check-in desk to offer you a free upgrade!
5) Request a special meal: The last thing you want is to stay hungry on a long-haul flight. If you have any dietary requirements, ensure that you have asked your travel agent to make a note of this and to, therefore, inform the airline in advance. The added perk in requesting a special meal is that you will also be served first before everyone else!
While these are our top 5 must-dos, we would also like to add a bonus tip! Consider taking a travel pillow and a travel blanket to help you sleep a little more comfortably on your 6+ hour journey!
Remember, long-haul flights don’t have to be unbearable. With a little bit of preparation and a pair of comfy sweatpants, it can actually be quite an amazing experience. So be prepared and enjoy your flight!
Lastly, At Gala Travels, we can help you find the best route for your journey and book you with the best airline.
Simply call us on: 1-866-458-4252, and our travel specialist will be glad to assist you.